Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How I got what I wanted...sort of

So, now that I knew what I wanted I had to figure out how to get the funding for the technology I wanted in my room.  Assuming you do not work in one of those schools that has WAY too much money and not enough things to spend it on, this part will be VERY important. (...if you DO work in one of those, are there any openings for a Spanish techer next year?)

First, I went to my principal and asked for a class set of iPads. After he quit laughing, he very kindly informed me that "No, unfortunately we do not have the budget for that type of puchase for individual teachers."  He also recommended that I look into the world of grant writing.

I contacted my district's brand new grant writer, Ms. Heidi Burki

Although Heidi was new in her position as our grant writer, she had quite a bit of experience with writing grants.  She helped me through the process of writing 3 different grant proposals to get iPads in my classroom. 

**If you haven't ever written a grant before, I highly recommend you find someone to help guide you.  There really is kind of an art to it.  She advised me on how to word things, what to include, what not to include, etc.  I was shocked at how long the process takes.  I would estimate that I spent about 20-30 hours writing and rewriting the grants.  It is extremely hard to express the need and clearly explain your vision and still remain concise.  I honestly thought, this is SO obviously the way we should all be teaching how could they NOT want to fund my idea?  But alas, there were other proposals that seemed more noble. 

I received the news on the first 2 grants...

I am kind of used to getting my way, but I think I took it well...  

  .

I then received news on final grant proposal and I had pretty much given up hope.  To my delight, the Summit Foundation awarded me enough money to buy a 10 pack of iPads and cases to protect them.  I now have a 1:3 ratio in my classroom and am able to integrate technology into my lessons seamlessly.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, your great hard work paid off and it is a great asset to have them in your classroom! Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola y muchas felicidades!
    would you be willing to share your award winning grant proposal...or at least a draft? i'm just not sure where to begin! gracias, ma. t.

    ReplyDelete